');
 
 
 
 
 

Caf denies granting Guinea permission to host Afcon qualifiers

Tuesday 16th September , 2014 10:05 am
Guinea has been hugely affected by Ebola
Guinea has been hugely affected by Ebola

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has rubbished Guinea’s claims that they have been granted permission to play their 2015 Afcon qualifiers at home.

Reports emerged on Monday that the Guinea Football Federation said they had been cleared to host games again after the deadly Ebola outbreak led to a temporary ban.

Federation spokesman Blaise Camara was quoted as saying on Monday that Caf has lifted the embargo on games in the country, where nearly 500 people have died in the West African Ebola crisis.

[contextly_sidebar id=”jF3PAbGy7YjZravXksgFzeccZI7O8Xb7″]

According to quotes, Camara said Guinea can now host the Black Stars in Conakry in its next Group E qualifier next month.

This would have been a relief to the country, as they had to move their first home game to neutral Morocco.

Caf’s statement: “Contrary to recent false claims disseminated by a section of the media, to create the impression that the Confederation Africaine de Football (CAF) has granted Guinea the green-light to host matches at home.

“CAF wishes to affirm that the circular dated 12 August 2014 which stated that Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone cannot host matches on their territories due to the Ebola outbreak still holds.

“It was mentioned in the circular that a new assessment of the situation will be discussed in mid-September 2014 in consultation with the World Health Organization and the CAF Medical Committee.

“The CAF Executive Committee is scheduled to meet on 19-20 September 2014 at the African Union (AU) Headquarters in Addis Ababa, to decide on further precautionary measures with respect to countries hit by the Ebola outbreak.”

Guinea will play Ghana in a double header scheduled for October 10 and 15.

by Gary Al-Smith/citifmonline.com/Ghana

 

');

');