“Member countries chose drawing of lots”- CAF

Friday 30th January , 2015 4:42 pm
CAF Disciplinary Committee President, Raymond Hack
CAF Disciplinary Committee President, Raymond Hack

The Confederation of African Football has stated that member countries gave their approval for the usage of drawing of lots in the 2015 African Nations Cup.

This follows criticism from the Malian Football Federation of the process that was used to determine whether Guinea or Mali would progress from Group D of the tournament after the two teams were tied on goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head at the end of their group matches.

CAF Disciplinary Committee President Raymond Hack said member countries agreed on the use of head-to-head before the tournament and so the complaints were quite surprising.

” The rules came about and a 6-month notice was given and nobody objected to the rules at that time. In fact, what happened was that there was another condition before the use of drawing of lots.

The Fair Play table was to be used but the countries object to that and they said the table must be taken out of the rules,” said Hack on South African radio station Cape Talk 702.

Hack said if the Fair Play rules had been applied, Guinea would have qualified because they had the best disciplinary record together with DR Congo.

Hack stated that when the member countries met 6 months before the tournament, they insisted on getting a definite tie-breaker in the tournament and the drawing of lots was the one chosen by countries.

” We had to have something (to break the ties). Either we have penalties or the drawing of lots. Everybody said they did not like the option of the penalty shootout. The 54 national federations approved the rules so if nobody stands against a particular rule, it will hold for the tournament.”

Guinea will now face Ghana in the third quarter final of the tournament on Sunday in Malabo

 

 

 

By: Nathan Quao/citifmonline.com/Ghana