');
 
 
 
 
 

Karim Benzema banned for Euro 2016

Wednesday 13th April , 2016 7:39 pm
BENZ

The French football federation have banned Karim Benzema from the national team over his alleged involvement in the Mathieu Valbuena sex tape scandal.

The Real Madrid star was omitted from Les Bleus’ most recent squad and now president Noel Le Graet has confirmed Benzema is now suspended and, as long as the investigation continues, will miss next summer’s tournament.

“Today, Karim Benzema is no longer available for selection. It’s a personal decision (of mine), I have informed [coach Didier] Deschamps,” he told a press conference on Thursday.

“Benzema will not be available for selection in March, nor for EURO 2016 if the situation has not evolved..

“The Benzema affair for me hurts, but I am sanctioning him because I am the president of the FFF.

“I would have liked to have had a face to face with him… but the law does not permit me to do so.”

Le Graet also confirmed that Valbuena is available for selection.

Last month Valbuena broke his silence on the saga, claiming that Benzema “indirectly” told him that he must pay money to prevent the release of a sex tape involving him and his girlfriend.

He told Le Monde that Benzema was not aggressive when contacting him but insisted “that I meet someone” to resolve the matter.

The front page of L’Equipe said: “The latest revelations of Mathieu Valbuena and judicial timetable make the return of Karim Benzema to the France team very improbable.

The publication also claimed Valbuena’s international future is uncertain.

“But the international future of the playmaker is also in doubt,” it adds.

Neither player made the most recent France squad to face Germany and England in friendlies.

 

 

Credit:Mirror

');

');