Public Relations Officer of Accra Hearts of Oak, Mr. Kwame Opare Addo has been banned from taking part in any kind of football related activity for a period of twenty four (24) months and has been fined GH¢6000.
This was pronounced in the GFA Disciplinary Committee (B)’s decision in relation to comments Mr. Opare Addo made at two (2) radio station in Accra, where he made false claims and allegations against the Referees Committee of the GFA and the match officials appointed for the match between Hearts of Oak and Wa All Stars at the Accra Stadium on April 3, 2016.
Mr. Opare’s comments were deemed to have cast insinuations which incited the club’s supporters against the match officials.
Below is the full ruling of the Disciplinary Committee:
DECISION OF THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE ON THE ALLEGED INCITEMENT OF SUPPORTERS AGAINST MATCH OFICIALS BY KWAME OPARE ADDO AND FOR BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE
COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT
- COSMAS ANPENGNUO – CHAIRMAN
- ALEX KOTEY – MEMEBER
- NURUDEEN ALHASSAN – MEMBER
It is the case of the Ghana Football Association (G.F.A) that in relation to the premier league match played at the Accra Sports Stadium on 03/04/16 between (ACCRA HEARTS OF OAK and WA ALL STARS), Kwame Opare Addo, said to be the Public Relations officer of Accra Hearts of Oak, at two (2) radio station in Accra, made false claims and allegations against the Referees Committee of the GFA and the match officials appointed for the match. That Kwama Opare Addo cast insinuations which incited the club’s supporters against the match officials in violation of the GFA Regulation.
Kwame Opare Addo was therefore charged under Articles 54 of the GFA disciplinary code; and Article 35(1)(b) and 35(7)(d) of the GFA Regulations which state as follows:
1. A player or official who publicly incites others to hatred or violence will be sanctioned with match suspension for no less than twelve months and with a minimum fine of GH¢5000.00
2. In serious cases, in particular when the infringement is committed using the mass media (such as the press, radio or television) or if it takes place on a match day in or around a stadium, the minimum fine will be GH¢6000.00
- A club official, player or member of a club who:-
(b) incites players against other players or match officials against their ruling or encourages an unhealthy demonstration in whatever form commits an offence and shall be liable to a fine to be determined by the G.F.A Disciplinary Committee or banned from attending matches played under the jurisdiction of the G.F.A for such period as the G.F.A Disciplinary Committee may determine.
Commit any offensive act not provided for in above or made any offensive statement either verbally or in writing or is responsible for any conduct or any matter which is in the opinion of the Association ungentlemanly, insulting or improper behaviour or likely be bring the game into disrepute.
By a letter dated 07/04/16 to the Acting General Secretary of the GFA and copied this committee, Kwame Opare Addo pleaded guilty to the charges and waived his right to attend the hearing of this committee.
Kwame Opare Addo by a letter dated 07/04/15 apologised for any discomfort his comments might have caused any individual especially the GFA president.
Having listened to the recording of the comments made by Kwame Opare Addo and reaction of the supporters of ACCRA HEARTS OF OAK the committee is of the view that the comments incited hatred and violence against the match officials involved in the said match.
1. Kwame Opare Addo is hereby fined GH¢6000.00 to be paid in accordance with the G.F.A Regulations.
2. Kwame Opare Addo is hereby banned from taking part in any kind of football related activity (Administrative, sporting or any other) for a period of twenty four (24) months from the date of this decision.
DATED AT THE GFA THIS 5TH DAY OF MAY 2016
Source: Ghana FA');